X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fitch
    • May 2010

Slight leak from rear diff

I was rotating the wheels the other day (geez you just about need to pack a cut lunch to crawl along and locate the jack under the rear axle - would be an interesting proposition on a wet day dressed in your Sunday best ). Anyways, I noticed an oil stain on the rear diff (see photos if I can manage to attach them). There is no corresponding stain on the driveway so I figure it isn't a big leak. Questions. Should I be concerned or can I wait until the next service is due? Is there a dipstick to tell the oil level in a diff? Thanks!
    Attached Files
    now: QE Pajero Sport 2016 5 Seat Auto
    was: PB Challenger 2010 LS Manual
  • peter92
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2009
    • maryborough queensland

it looks like its only small, you could clean it to get a better look just to be sure
    undo the plug on the diff and put finger in side the oil should be just below the filler hole
    regards peter
    used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
    now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
    bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
    SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• LukeS
      • Mar 2010
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by fitch View Post
      I was rotating the wheels the other day (geez you just about need to pack a cut lunch to crawl along and locate the jack under the rear axle - would be an interesting proposition on a wet day dressed in your Sunday best ). Anyways, I noticed an oil stain on the rear diff (see photos if I can manage to attach them). There is no corresponding stain on the driveway so I figure it isn't a big leak. Questions. Should I be concerned or can I wait until the next service is due? Is there a dipstick to tell the oil level in a diff? Thanks!
      Sounds like it could probably wait till service time, but re the checking, generally fill it till it overflows, so as said in an earlier post the finger test in the filler hole should work.
      Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• peter92
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2009
        • maryborough queensland

fitch, have you cleaned it to make sure that there isnt a crack anywhere, i wouldnt think there was but wont hurt to just check, better safe than sorry
        regards peter
        used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
        now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
        bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
        SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

• itsjai
          • Sep 2009

I just noticed this on my diff to, got it booked in for Wednesday to have it looked at. Anyone else had this problem and know if it is an easy fix?
          'Charlie the Challenger' - 2010 LS, Charcoal Grey, Auto, XROX Front Bar, Runva 11XP Winch, Narva 225s, eBay LED Bar, Dual Optima D34's with Redarc Solenoid and Deep-cycle off Cteck Dual 250s, Maxxis Bighorns 285/75 R16 on Hummer H3 rims, Raised King Springs, BushSkinz Bash Plates, BushSkinz Sliders, Custom Roof Platform, Custom Boot (with Drawers, Fridge Slide, Water Tank/Pump/Tap) Air Horn, UHF, 2500watt Inverter, ScanGuage, HR Towbar, Stereo Upgrade, Tint and Sheep Skin Seat Covers.

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

I would say it is a very minor leak. Where it is, it would have to be a cracked weld, or the mount bolt on the brake line has fractured the diff housing. Have you confirmed it to be diff oil and not brake fluid? I have seen the small bracket on the brake line wear the pipe and cause a leak in the past, but not on anything this new. Better check the oil level just to be safe, as posted above.
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• scorpion 42
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2011
              • London. uk

Slight leak from rear diff

Originally posted by fitch View Post
              Hey Fitch, why dont you invest in a 3 ton trolley jack, that way you wouldn't be stuggleing withyour stupid bottle jack and while your at it ( for safetys sake ) a pair of 3 ton axle stands and get yourself under there again and have a good look and check just what this wet patch really is, as has been said brake fluid or 80 / 90 gear oil, or even, LSD oil, its ever so easy and stops you feeling like a divvy, that has no idea about anything, LOL.

Comment

• Cams
                • Sep 2010
                • Melbourne

Get the dealer to check it sooner than later, there is a chance it is brake fluid, and you wouldn't want to run out of that.
                2010 NT Platinum Pajero, DiD auto warm white. MM tow bar, Redarc for power.
                Open Country AT2's
                Jayco Startcraft 19-61.1 Family van

Comment

• fitch
                  • May 2010

Service guys said it was the washer on the filler plug which they replaced.
                  now: QE Pajero Sport 2016 5 Seat Auto
                  was: PB Challenger 2010 LS Manual

Comment

• wasarangie
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • Ocean Grove

Not as interesting as a cracked housing or split brake line. Did not even think about that, just jumped to a major issue instead. Let us know if it has fixed your problem, I think (for what that's worth) it will be OK now.
                    SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• 900canoes
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2008
                      • FNQ

It is also interesting looking at the pics, where the leak is as high as the brake line retaining stud coming out of the diff housing. Keep an eye on it for a while.
                      2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X