• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pusspuss
    • Jun 2010
    • ballarat

Towing with challenger

Just returned from a 3000km round trip to Broken Hill, Menindee etc.
    Challenger performed faultlessly towing our 20ft Majestic full caravan weighing in at 1980kg loaded. Sure it will never win any drag races but stability and ease of towing is great.
    Very please with fuel economy averaged at 16.2ltr per 100km.
    That was at 95km to 100km per hour with the air cond on and towing in 4th gear.
    I currently have a 2007 Triton manual also with 3.2ltr motor and this averages 15.6ltr per 100km
    Our previous Ford Territory averaged 25ltr per 100km.
    We have the HR towbar as i would never tow anything this weight without weight distribution bars. The OEM tow bar does not allow for a hitch to be fitted or WDB.
    2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come
  • alan4106au
    • Sep 2010
    • Dandenong Victoria

Hi pusspuss

Very good to know how the Challenger tows looking forward to doing a lot of miles with ours. Do you find that the transmission hunts if in overdrive or what is the reason you drive in 4th gear??? Do you drive the Triton in top when towing or do you also tow in direct with it?? Also have the HR tow bar now although had no problems with the HR weight distribution bars with the Mitsubishi tow bar that was fitted! I know that you have a Sahara bar fitted and I have not fitted a bar as yet due to the fact that I am having trouble with the allowed axle weights. Feel that you may help due to your use of the weight distribution bars. (Do you have weigh bridge ticket??) Are you able to give your axle weights and approximate overall car weight?? I am finding that with what I wish to carry I am right on the legal limits. The 1260 kg maximum axle mass for the front may not allow me to fit a bull bar after I use my WDBars, and I am planning on an extra fuel tank and this will add a lot of extra weight, and along with the gear fitted to the car (fridge 20liter water container auxiliary battery recovery gear) Two adults and two kids it is looking as though we are right on the limits. My van is at 1580 kg. Tare and I have approx 180 kg bar weight. Would love to know how close to legal others are with the Challengers. The loading has been reduced to 2,300 kg and 250 kg bar weight with the HR hitch fitted.
    Happy motoring Alan
    Attached Files

Comment

• pusspuss
      • Jun 2010
      • ballarat

hi alan4106au
      I never tow in overdrive always leaving the auto in the manual mode. Do the same with the Triton and did with the Territory and previous PA challenger. I find that if i tow in overdrive, yes the gear box does "hunt" thru the gears constantly. I have also found the challenger and triton tend to use more fuel if in overdrive with our van in tow.
      I originally had the Mitsu tow bar but was not comfortable in cuting the HR hitch back to suit so dealer swaped tow bar over.
      No i have not put our rig on a weigh bridge as yet, I would be supprised if you exceed axle limits as you see some large vans (2500kg or greater) being pulled behind MN tritons.
      Happy touring
      2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X