• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luke.k1983
    • May 2010
    • Sydney

Tire deflator

Hi,

I was wondering. I have a very basic pressure gauge in my car and was thinking about upgrading it to something different. Since I go to the beach quite often its rather annoying to press the valve with whatever is handy. Now I cant decide whether to buy set of 4 tire deflators that can have preset pressure on them or buy a gauge with the option of letting the tires down. I know the new gauge would have much better readings in lower pressures unlike the one I have, but the set is probably easier. What would you go for and why?
    Thanks
    1992 NH SWB GLS Hardtop 5spd 3.0L, TJM Winch bar + winch, 33" Maxxis Bighorn, 2" RAW 4x4 suspension, 2" body lift, Airflow snorkel, Icom IC400Pro + GME AE4705, rear storage w/ Waeco fridge and foldable bed, awning, lots of lights and few other mods
  • Herman4x4
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Melton, Victoria

I hada set of the stauns, and ended up getting rid of them as you set them to a pressure and it is a pain to adjust. I got one of the ARB tyre deflators, it takes the valve out and drops the pressure quickly, also has a guage, but only works when you stop the air comnig out.
    I think there is a nother type of deflator that are like the Stauns and with each quarter turn or something it drops it x amount of psi.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
    Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• WogsRus
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2008
      • Hobart Tasmania

same boat, had some stauns borrowed from a mate, did not like them, got an ARB deflator, best thing ever.
      HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
      "Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

Another vote for the ARB deflator over the Stauns.
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Uncle Fester
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Boambee East NSW

Originally posted by psproule View Post
          Another vote for the ARB deflator over the Stauns.
          Ditto dat. I have used a few and the ARB is by far the best.( even if it is a copy of someone elses design.
          NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Cairns

I have an ARB EZ Tyre Deflator aswell and find that it is brilliant. It's super fast to deflate and the gauge is really easy to read at low pressures.
            It gets my vote too....
            Dan.
            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• luke.k1983
              • May 2010
              • Sydney

anyone experienced with sidewinder?
              1992 NH SWB GLS Hardtop 5spd 3.0L, TJM Winch bar + winch, 33" Maxxis Bighorn, 2" RAW 4x4 suspension, 2" body lift, Airflow snorkel, Icom IC400Pro + GME AE4705, rear storage w/ Waeco fridge and foldable bed, awning, lots of lights and few other mods

Comment

• apsilon
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2008
                • Hills District NSW

Add me to the tally of those who had Stauns and swapped to the ARB deflator. It's only a fraction slower and you can go to any pressure you want.

I did have my first one break on me however. Part of the brass snapped releasing the hose rendering it unusable but they replaced it on the spot when I took it in. I always suggest carry a simple gauge so you always have the option of doing it the slow way.
                MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• bbeasley
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Blackburn, Vic

I have stauns and they do what they are meant to do. I can see why some people like the arb style but i have found these to be fine. I think either is a fine solution...maybe borrow some if possible and trial them and do the same with the arb. If you were in melbourne i would be happy to let you have a go. I am sure there will be some nice sydney siders willing to offer the same

Cheers,

Brett
                  2009 NT Pajero GLS DiD Auto w/Rear Locker

Comment

• paj-attack
                    • Jan 2009
                    • logan

deffinately get the arb. they are tough and work so so well with great ease
                    99 NL escape, dobinsons/raw4x4 suspension, 31MTZs, ARB whinch bar, Roo lites, home made draws, plus lots of frustration

Comment

• MickSA
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

What about these?

Don't get bogged in your 4-wheel drive. Here is a very fast 4-wheel drive tyre deflation tool for driving off road on the beach, in sand, mud or on snow. ...
                      Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL

Comment

• geopaj
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
                        Add me to the tally of those who had Stauns and swapped to the ARB deflator. It's only a fraction slower and you can go to any pressure you want.
                        Me too - I wish I'd not bought the Stauns
                        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Brian B
                          • Sep 2009
                          • Bassendean

If you only can afford 1 purchase, then yes the ARB deflator.
                          I have the stauns (via 4wd Action mag), they are set to 18-20 and use them all the time on the beach, as it eaiser and quicker.

I use the ARB lots depending on road conditions for differing pressures.
                          Stauns cant be adjusted without causing problems
                          2008 NS Pajero 25th Anniversary model - 3.2 DiD Auto, National Luna Dual Battery System, 2.5 " Exhaust, Chipit Chip, Chipit DPF replacement Pipe,TJM Compressor (inside spare wheel), GME TX 3440 UHF, Custom Storage Solution, 55 litre Boab Water Tank (with pro-pump & tap), Rhino Sportz Bars, Eezi Awn Rooftop tent, Foxwing awning,Tyreguard tyre monitor

Comment

• Matatak
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • Perth

I have no problems with my stauns (also scored off the 4wd action mag offers).
                            They are now set at around 12 and thats where they stay they have never moved on me.

Perfect for at the beach/dunes i just let them down all the way, but if going on rocks i leave them on for awhile and guess when to take them off. Usually get it quite good and the tyres are around 20-22 and i adjust them all the same afterwards.

Saying that though if theres someone with an ARB around i will usually use that as it is quick and gets whatever pressure i want so its easy if i dont want them around 12.
                            05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• linc
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Perth

I like my Stauns, but haven't used the ARB jiggy either.
                              Matatak - why dont you set 2 at 12, and 2 at 20?
                              Doesnt take long to drop the tyres anyway, gives you a chance to grab a cold one from the fridge :P
                              Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                              Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                              Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X